Cottage
Snug Harbour

Georgian Bay Ontario
Addition/Renovation- Under Construction
Design: Donald Schmitt and Cheryl Atkinson

Belvedere

This addition and renovation project restores a pine cabin built in 1910 that commands a promontory overlooking Georgian Bay, in the Canadian Shield. This coastline is an International UNESCO Biosphere Reserve recognized for its windswept white pines, clear water and sculpted pink granite terrain. This cabin is one of the last remaining buildings from the period in the area, and is recognized as a local landmark, a place with ghost stories and a history as a writing retreat for Farley Mowat.

Various lean-to additions and verandah roofs were removed to bring in additional light to the dark cedar lined interior and to clarify the original building form. A 450 square foot kitchen and dining room addition has been added to the south flank of the existing house with a two storey dining area and roof-top lookout that recalls the local light houses that mark the entry to Snug Harbour and Parry Sound.